In Memory of Sandy

Sandy1Sandy was a very special boarder who also became a member of our family for a few in 1996. We met her in 1995, the first week we were at Green Acres. Paula and I were still learning the ropes, and I was scheduled to do playtimes. I had always been kind of hesitant about some of the big wolf-like breeds but I had a job to do, so I took Sandy out for a romp in the yard. Sandy and I really hit it off and had a grand time. I think I took her out for play everyday during that visit.

When Sandy’s guardian, Margo, picked her up, she was quite pleased with how well Sandy and I hit it off. It turns out Sandy had always been afraid of other people, especially men. Sandy and I had each  a life changing experience that week. We learned to trust one another and overcome our fears. We each had found a new buddy.

Sandy2Sandy boarded with us again in November, and it was a couple of weeks before Christmas when Margo stopped by to tell us she had to move South due to a family emergency. She asked if we would be interested in adopting Sandy, as she did not think she would do well in the heat of the South. Since Sandy and I had developed a close relationship, she wanted to ask us first. On December 20, 1995, my 38th birthday, Sandy was dropped off at the kennel for boarding and a trial run as a member of our family. It was one of the best birthdays I ever had.

Sandy fit in quite well with the rest of the family. I remember how well my dad liked her, and Dad,  was always hesitant of big dogs. Sandy rapidly bonded even closer with me and was my constant companion. She would start her day by following me to the bathroom where she would lie down as I showered. It was always fun watching that big, furry head, peek into the shower curtain to see what I was up to. We would go down to the kitchen where I would make breakfast and then off to my office for work. Sandy enjoyed time lying in my office or greeting people down in the store. She also loved riding in the car with me and would often go along to the bank and where ever else the day might take me. If I was away from her, longer than she thought was appropriate, Sandy would howl in that mournful way that only a Malamute can.

Sandy3It was winter and what had to be Sandy’s favorite season. We would play in the field, chasing each other and “dancing” in the snow. Sandy loved to bury her head in the snow and then lie on her back and make snow angels. In fact, she liked to lie on her back a lot. She would frequently roll over; head flat against the floor, tongue rolling out and just lying there. This position came to be known as the “boofus.”

Later in the spring, Margo returned from the South, and as much as I loved Sandy, I knew she needed Margo and Margo needed her. Happily, I still got to see Sandy frequently as she boarded with us many times during the next several years.

Sadly, Sandy crossed the rainbow bridge in 2004 at the age of fourteen. Sandy you were a special friend. You taught me a great deal and gave me so much. You will always be remembered with great fondness.


We'll throw you a bone...
Sign up for our e-mail newsletter