We Are A Local, Family Owned Business, Not a Big-Box Store that Sends Most of Its Money Out of State
Did you know that “... for every dollar spent at a small business in the U.S., approximately 67 cents stays in the local community.” That’s money that directly benefits your family, friends, and neighbors. Conversely, when you choose to purchase from big-box stores and online, most of the money you spend leaves the community.
Green Acres is a Bangor owned business, and the purchases you make here go directly back into the local economy. It is our practice to purchase as many of our supplies and services from local sources as well. We also hope you choose to buy locally.
Convenient Location & Hours
We're located on Union Street, a mile and a quarter past the Airport Mall and across the street from Sprague's Nursery. We're open from 7 AM to 6 PM Monday through Friday and from 8 AM to 5 PM on Saturday and from 3 PM to 5 PM on Sunday.
Voted the Bangor Regions "Best Pet Store" Every Year Since 2007
We know you have many options for buying your pet's food and supplies. We want to invite you to stop by and visit us and we know that when you do, you will join those in the community that have voted us the Bangor Region’s "Best Pet Store" every year since 2007.
Why have we been voted the “Best?”
- We’re an information resource – We don’t just sell products and services. We’re here to answer questions about your pet’s care, behavior, training, grooming needs, and nutrition. If you have a question, ask it, and we will do our best to help. Our friendly team is available to knowledgeably answer questions about all that we offer when you come into the store. We may even talk you out of buying something if we feel it is not the best choice for your pet. Additionally, our award-winning radio show and podcast, The Woof Meow Show is available at WZON AM620 and online and our owner Don Hanson, writes a blog, Words-Woofs-Meows filled with information on cats and dogs.
- Selection of Products – It has always been our goal to offer healthy, wholesome pet foods, and quality pet supplies. There is no single pet food or type of pet toy, leash, or whatever that is the best for all pets. That is why we offer a wide selection of quality products and pet food that we would use with our own pets.
- Fair Prices – Our prices are fair and competitive and are even lower when you factor in our many reward programs (see below). Also, when you make a purchase here, Sixty-seven cents of that dollar stays right in the community helping your family, friends, and neighbors.
- Loyalty Programs – We offer frequent buyer programs on many of the products we sell. Pet Food Programs- Eagle Pack, Fromm, Holistic Select, My Perfect Pet, Grandma Lucy's, Stella & Chewy's Raw, Vital Essentials, Fussie Cat, Health Extension, Koha, Northwest Naturals, NutriSource (including Natural Planet & Pure Vita), Primal, Steve’s, and Zignature. Product Programs - BoxieCat, Super Snouts, and Treatibles. Stop by the store to learn more.
- After-Sale Support – If you have questions on anything you have purchased, we’re here for you. All of our pet foods can be returned, in original packaging and providing your sale was recorded on our computer, for an exchange or a full refund. In the rare event, a food we sell is recalled, we will contact you by email, a Facebook post, or phone as soon as we learn of the recall.
- Commitment to the Welfare of All Pets – We do not sell pets, nor do we sell products such as shock, choke, or prong collars that have been specifically developed to hurt pets. We proudly comply with the AAHA Canine and Feline Behavior Management Guidelines and the Pet Professional Guild Guiding Principles.
- We give back to the community – Every year, we happily donate products and services back to the community because we appreciate your support and because it is the neighborly thing to do.
- Your Pets Love Coming Here – Our goal is for your pets to be happy and excited to visit us. Whether it’s because of the fear-free interactions they experience here, the things you buy them, socializing with their daycare friends, or the opportunity to romp in our large play yard, pets love Green Acres.