I have been rotating what I feed my pets for years, and at Green Acres Kennel Shop we have been recommending dietary rotation to clients at least since 2012 when our Operations Manager Kate wrote about her experience rotating diets in our newsletter that May ( FMI – http://bit.ly/DietRotation ).
On April 12th of this year, veterinarian Jean Dodds of Hemopet and NutriScan published an article on her blog on the same topic. The following are some of the key quotes from Dr. Dodds’ article.
“Like humans, dogs should be eating a variety of nutritious foods, and not living on just one specific formula.”
“No one dietary formula, no matter how “complete and balanced” it is, can meet all of an animal’s nutritional needs over an extended period.”
“There is no one “perfect” food or perfect food combination that provides everything a human or animal needs to create optimum health over long periods.”
“Rotating protein sources not only ensures your pet will benefit from a varied amino acid and nutrient profile, it also reduces the risk he will form an intolerance to any specific animal protein source over time.”
You can read Dr. Dodds entire post, and I encourage you to do so, at https://nutriscan.org/food-transitioning-versus-food-rotating-what-is-the-difference
< Click to Listen to Podcast >
Kate and Don answer questions they have been asked by clients and listeners. In this show they answer the following:
- What is it like working with dogs and cats all day?
- What does one do when they work at a pet boarding facility?
- What do you like best about your job?
- What is the hardest part of your job?
- How do I transition my pet to a raw food diet?
- What is the benefit of rotating diets and can it be done with all dogs?
- My pet is not supposed to have a certain ingredient in their food, so how do I make sure that ingredient is not in anything they eat?
- What should I do when the pet food I feed is recalled? Do I need to change brands?
- I have a pet that is very aggressive to anyone other than family members. Can you safely board my pet?
- What should I consider when looking for a place to board my dog?
- My dog is urinating throughout my home even though I take him on walks and he frequently humps my leg, what do I do to make him stop?
- My 7-year-old dog was housetrained, but we recently moved into a new house across town, and now she urinates inside the house almost every single day. What do we need to do to get her housetrained again?
< Click to Listen to Podcast >
Professional Development – Trends in Training – The Evolution of a Pet Care Professional – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2008/04/19/professional-development-trends-in-training-the-evolution-of-a-pet-care-professional/
Pet Nutrition – Should I Feed My Pet A Raw Diet? – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2016/09/11/pet-nutrition-should-i-feed-my-pet-a-raw-diet/
Nutrition – Why Rotating Diets Makes Sense – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2012/05/04/nutrition-why-rotating-diets-makes-sense/
Recalls – What Do I Need to Do If My Pet’s Food is Recalled? – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2018/03/10/recalls-what-do-i-need-to-do-if-my-pets-food-is-recalled/
Help! My Dog is Aggressive, Reactive, Fearful, Anxious, etc. – What do I do? – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2017/04/03/help-my-dog-is-aggressive-reactive-fearful-anxious-etc-what-do-i-do/
Traveling – Do you take the dog along or leave him with someone? – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2016/04/11/traveling-do-you-take-the-dog-along-or-leave-him-with-someone/
Pet Care Services – Please Be Cautious When Choosing Who Cares For Your Pets – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2016/04/11/pet-care-services-please-be-cautious-when-choosing-who-cares-for-your-pets/
Selecting A Pet Care Provider – Yes! A Trend Towards Kinder and Gentler Professional Pet Care – Green Acres Kennel Shop’s “Pet Friendly” Philosophy – Part 1 – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2015/04/02/yes-a-trend-towards-kinder-and-gentler-professional-pet-care-green-acres-kennel-shops-pet-friendly-philosophy-part-1/
Housetraining – http://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2014/02/16/housetraining/
Podcast – Introducing The Woof Meow Show with Kate Dutra and Don Hanson – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2016/02/07/podcast-introducing-the-woof-meow-show-with-kate-dutra-and-don-hanson/
Podcast – Pet Health and Wellness – Don and Kate’s Journey with Complementary Medicine – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2015/08/29/podcast-pet-health-and-wellness-don-and-kates-journey-with-complementary-medicine/
Podcast – Pet Care Options When You Go Away: Pet Sitter, Neighbor, Boarding Facility – https://www.greenacreskennel.com/blog/2015/09/05/podcast-pet-care-options-when-you-go-away-pet-sitter-neighbor-boarding-facility/
©24MAR18, Donald J. Hanson, All Rights Reserved
< Click for Copyright and Use Policy >