< a short link to this page – https://bit.ly/GAKSBasicManners-2020 >
Due to the concerns about the COVID-19 virus, the schedule of our dog training classes is in flux and subject to change.
A Semi-Private Group Class
< Last Updated –21SEP20-2:20PM >
Our next round of Basic Manners classes are full.
The next session of classes will start sometime in November. To be notified when we begin accepting applications call us at 945-6841 and asked to be placed on the waiting list. Those on the waiting list will be notified by email before the next start dates and times are announced online, giving you the first opportunity to enroll. Alternatively, when they classes are available to the public they will be announced on our Facebook page. If you “like” and follow the Green Acres Kennel Shop Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GreenAcresKennelShop/ you will learn when the next round of classes are scheduled.
Join the training team that has been voted Bangor’s Best every year since 2011 and rated as one of the Top 20 Dog Trainers in New England by Best Businesses of America.
This class is for students that have completed our Puppy Headstart class or those with older dogs that want to learn more about their dog and to teach them the basics. Basic Manners is not suitable for dogs that are reactive or aggressive.
In Basic Manners, we will teach you to train your dog to respond to visual and audible cues for attention, sit, down, come, heel, stay, give, and leave it. This is a semi-private class consisting of two teams of one student with their dog and one instructor. Classes may be held both indoors and outdoors in our training yard. Each session is approximately 30 40 minutes long and will meet at the same time and day for eight weeks. If Green Acres needs to postpone a class for any reason, an additional session will be added to the schedule.
Two weeks before attending the first class with your dog, you will be sent an email that includes links to view our orientation videos. It is your responsibility to watch these videos before the first in-person class. These videos cover information on canine behavior, training, and human and canine communication that are the foundation of what we will be teaching you in the classes you attend with your dog. You will also receive access to written material that supplements the video and the in-person lessons. The videos can be accessed via a desktop computer, a tablet such as an iPad, or a smartphone. You will have access to these materials until the final class.
We anticipate that these classes will start in September. Still, due to COVID-19 and other factors, they may be delayed. Additional dates and times may be added as demand warrants. You must pick a specific class from the table below in order for us to process your application. Payment and completion of our registration form and waiver is required to reserve your space in class.
* Please understand that the availability column is not updated in real-time and a class may in fact be full.
Fees & Registration
Your dog’s space in class is reserved as soon as you complete our class registration application and waiver and pay the $195 registration fee in the store or over the phone. This fee is 100% refundable until two weeks before your class starts. At that time, you will be given access to the course videos, and the payment is no longer refundable.
Please, read, complete, and sign the electronic registration and waiver form at the link below. After completing the form, you will be sent an email by Adobe Sign asking you to confirm your signature. A copy of the signed form will be sent to you and Green Acres as a PDF file. Upon receipt of the Registration Form & Waiver, we will call you, typically within one business day to get your payment for the class. Forms will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Due to the COVID-19 virus, we have made the following changes to our group training classes.
- If you are not feeling well or are in the high-risk category, we ask that you do NOT attend class but do work with your dog at home as described in the homework, if you can do so. Feel free to contact us via phone or email if you have any questions.
- For the duration of the COVID-19 crisis, class size for Basic Manners has been reduced from 5 students to 4. Depending on the number of students, there may be only one instructor.
- We are limiting the class to one human per dog unless the class is outside. The decision of whether or not the class will be outdoors may not be made until class time.
- We have added additional times between classes for additional sanitation measures.
- Please arrive on time. Your class will start promptly and end after 45 minutes.
- Face coverings, either masks or shield, must be worn at all times.
- Please use hand sanitizer as necessary.
- Please, no handshakes or hugs between people.
- As much as possible, minimize the handling of other people’s pups.