Therapy Dogs International evaluator Don Hanson has scheduled two Therapy Dog tests. The first will be the morning of Saturday, May 29th
at Green Acres Kennel Shop
and the second will be on Saturday, June 5th
in Wells, ME
. There are a maximum of nine slots available for the test at Green Acres and twelve slots available for the test in Wells. Advanced registration is required for both tests
. People may register for the Bangor test by stopping by Green Acres Kennel Shop or call them at 945-6841. The Wells test is being hosted by the Piscataqua Obedience Club. Registration is being handled by Julie Smith at (603) 234 6714. There is no rain date for either test.
TDI Therapy Dogs and their handlers, when invited, may visit hospitals, nursing homes and other places to provide people with the opportunity to interact with a furry goodwill ambassador. The simple act of stroking a dog can be very therapeutic and brings great joy to people who no longer have dogs.
It should be noted that a TDI Therapy Dog is not a service or assistance dog and does not have the same rights to access as people with disabilities and their service/assistance animals.
The TDI test will evaluate the dog and handler and how well they work together. The dog must be at least one year of age. There is no minimum age for handlers, but handlers under 18 must be accompanied by an adult on visitations and the registration form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- TDI will not register any dog that has bitten a human being.
- TDI will not register potential applicants who have their dogs registered with any type of Therapy Dog related program or organization other than TDI.
- TDI will not test or register deaf dogs.
- Dog owners are responsible for their dog and its actions while on the test site and must sign a TDI® Evaluation Liability agreement prior to the start of the test.
- Dog/handler teams should carry their own liability insurance (homeowners/renters insurance) and will be asked if they have such insurance at time of registration.
- All dogs must be tested on a flat buckle collar or harness.
- While the dog and handler team are evaluated during a formal test, they are also being observed by the evaluator the entire time they can be seen by the evaluator. The dog should be under your control at this time as well.
- Applicants who wish to visit with more than one dog at the same time must be tested by a TDI evaluator with the dogs together.
For more information on Therapy Dogs, click on the “Therapy Dog” at the Green Acres web site, www.greenacreskennel.com
, visit www.tdi-dog.org
or checkout the article “What Is A Therapy Dog” at http://bit.ly/agoGyc