Does Your Pet Need a Boarding Reservation?
Click here to email us
Or call us at 945-6841
Would You Like to Receive Valuable Green Acres Coupons?
Green Acres distributes two different editions of its newsletter; a version posted on our webpage and on our FaceBook pages (this one) and, a version which is distributed. The email edition includes valuable coupons for Green Acres services and products not offered in this edition. To subscribe, visit our webpage at (www.greenacreskennel.com) and look in the lower right hand corner for an area that looks like this.
Saturday, December 24th, Christmas Eve – 8AM to 3PM
Sunday, December 25th, Christmas Day – Closed to the Public
Saturday, December 31st, New Year’s Eve – 8AM to Noon
Sunday, January 1st, New Year’s Day – Closed to the Public
Holiday Sale – December 12th through 17th
We know how much you like to buy special holiday gifts for your furkids, so we will be offering special prices in the store December 12th through 17th. All non-food items (toys, collars, leashes, treats, books, treats, etc.) will be 20% off their already low price.
Last Minute Gift Ideas for Pets or People with Pets
- Some fresh catnip or a catnip toy – it’s like Mistletoe for cats
- A gift certificate for a dog training class so the dog learns some manners and leaves me alone.
- A catnip mouse made of real fur for me to chase around the house.
- Some yummy and nutritious canned cat food, you know the kind with real meat like that offered by Weruva.
- Cats love to play, even older cats. The Cat Charmer, a plastic stick with fabric attached has been enchanting cats for ages.
- Where’d it go? There it is! Pounce! A laser will keep you and the cats amused.
- A smart toy, something to engage your dogs mind – A Kong, a Buster Cube, or many of the other fun toys at Green Acres
- One of those big yummy beef knuckle bones Green Acres keeps in the freezer
- Dogs love stuffed toys and the grunting hedgehog is always a favorite and it’s environmentally friendly with the stuffing made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Jake’s Dog Treat Mix is made in Maine and comes in several delicious flavors. You can give it as a mix, or bake the biscuits yourselves. Either way the lucky recipient will love you.
- What better way to wash away doggie odor than with some of the wonderfully fragrant and all natural shampoos from Mutt Nose Best.
- Some dogs are just nuts about chasing and retrieving balls. Your shoulder may not appreciate it as much. Get a Kong Rocket and your shoulder and your dog will both be happy!
- Some yummy and nutritious canned dog food, you know the kind with real meat like that offered by Weruva. Wysong and Evanger’s.
Pet People Gifts
- Do you like pet photographs and need a calendar? How about Green Acres first ever calendar filled with winners from their photography and drawing contest and coupons good at Green Acres' and other area businesses.
- Long haired pets need regular brushing. Ask us about the Furminator, a marvelous new grooming tool that makes grooming easier.
- The holidays are a stressful time for people and pets. Consider keeping some Bach Rescue Remedy on hand for all concerned.
- A book on dog behavior, training or language. Spend some time and learn about your best friend.
- A gift certificate for Green Acres Pet First Aid course being held on January 14th.
- Friends or family members have a tight vacation budget? Consider giving them a gift certificate good towards Boarding at Green Acres – voted the Best Kennel in the region 10 years running!
- Friends or family members have a new puppy or dog – a gift certificate for a Green Acres training class and/or Daycare may be in order.
Green Acres 2012 Photo Contest Calendar
Great Photos! – Valuable Coupons! – Support A Great Cause!
We now have a limited number of Green Acres 2012 calendars available for sale. The calendar contains the work of our photo and drawing contest winners, some valuable coupons for Green Acres and other area businesses, and all profits from the sale of the calendar will be used to purchase pet food for the Eastern Area Agency on Aging Furry Friends Food Bank. Calendars sell for $20 and contain the following coupons:
- $3 OFF any medium or large bag of NutriSource, Pure Vita or Natural Organics Pet Food
- $3 OFF s 30lbs bag of Eagle Holistic Select Dry Dog Food
- $25 OFF service from Tim’s Plumbing
- $1 OFF Packing Services at the UPS store
- Up to $0.06/gallon off a fill-up at The Shell on Hammond St.
- 20% OFF a Pet or Person Photo Session with Debra Bell of Bell Imaging and Design
Thank you to our calendar sponsors: NutriSource, Pure Vita and Natural Planet Organics Pet Foods, Chapel Hill Floral, Links, Eagle Holistic Select Pet Food, Chute Contracting, Bangor Savings Bank, Tim’s Plumbing, Jane Newberry and Vollara, Martha Ohrenberger and JuicePlus, Bell Imaging and Design, Bangor Center for Dental Medicine, The UPS Store, Gross, Minsky, and Mogul, PA, Louise Rolnick of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Town and Country, Rudman-Winchell, Starboard Leadership Consulting, Christopher Olsen of Prudential Northeast Properties, Barresi Financial, Inc. Evergreen Waste Systems, Elite Auto, Inc. (The Shell on Hammond Street), and The Woof Meow Show.
Using Bach Rescue Remedy with Pets & People – Jan. 7th
Bach Rescue Remedy is an all natural product that can be used to reduce stress and anxiety in emergency situations with people and pets. On Saturday afternoon on January 14th at 1:00PM, Bach Foundation Registered Animal Practitioner, Don Hanson, will present an introduction to Bach Rescue Remedy and the other Bach Flower remedies. Don will discuss each of the Rescue Remedy products and describe how they can help you and your pets. Limited seats our available, so call us at 945-6841 to reserve your spot today.
Canine Body Language – Jan. 14th
Just like our dogs are not born understanding English, we are not born understanding dog. If we want to have the best relationship with our dog we need to learn their language. On Saturday morning on January 14th at 10:00AM, Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Kate Dutra, will help you to become more aware of what your dog is communicating to you or others through the use of its body. She will also discuss what your body is saying to your dog and will describe how you can use your body for more effective management and training. This seminar is for anyone who has a dog in their life and the information presented will be applicable to a variety of interactions with humans as well as other animals. Limited seats our available, so call us at 945-6841 to reserve your spot today.
SEMINAR: Pet First Aid & CPR – Jan. 14th
Are you prepared if your dog sustains a serious injury while out hiking? Do you know what to do if your cat stops breathing? Knowing how to perform basic pet first aid and CPR could help you save your pet’s life.
On Saturday afternoon on January 14th, at 1PM Green Acres Kennel Shop will be hosting a Pet First Aid & CPR seminar taught by Certified Pet Tech Instructor, Tracy Haskell. This 4-hour PetSaver Program will teach participants Pet First Aid, Pet CPR, and basic care and handling that can be used in the event of emergencies. At the completion of the program participants will have the resources they need to keep their pet safe, healthy, and happy. Whether your pets just hang around at home with you or live an active and adventurous life, the knowledge you gain in this class may possibly save your pet’s life.
The seminar will run from 1PM until 5PM and includes hands on instruction and a useful reference guide. The fee for the class is $50, with $10 from each enrollment being donated to the Eastern Area Agency on Aging Furry Friends’ Food Bank. A maximum of 10 spots are available, so don’t delay! Call Green Acres at 945-6841 to register.
Debunking Pet Food Myths
MYTH: The Guaranteed Analysis Is the Most Important Information on the Bag
Countless times clients have come into the store looking for a food that is exactly “x%” protein and “y%” fat because they have been led to believe that the Guaranteed Analysis panel on a pet food is the most important piece of information on the bag. What is alarming is that carbohydrates are missing from this list. Why is this missing? Because dogs and cats have no need for carbohydrates in their diet and if they were eating the type of food they would find in the wild the percent of carbohydrates would typically be 5% or less. Dry pet food, because of the manner in which it is manufactured, and to keep costs low, is typically around 50% carbohydrates.
You can learn more at our website at: http://www.greenacreskennel.com/pet-food-information
We offer two introductory classes; Puppy Headstart for pups 8 to 16 weeks of age when they start class and Basic Manners for dogs 16 weeks of age and older. Puppy Headstart is a 4-week open-enrollment program offered on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings. Basic Manners is an 8 week program, offered on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. For complete details on both classes give us a call or visit our website at: http://www.greenacreskennel.com/training/introductory-classes
Our two very popular level two workshops; Out and About: Training the Advanced Recall and Heel and Glad to See You: Training the Stay and Polite Greeting Behaviors are six week classes offered on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons. For complete details on both classes give us a call or visit our website at: http://www.greenacreskennel.com/training/level-2-dog-training-classes
Our Canine Good Citizen Workshop is for those dog/handler teams aspiring to take the AKC Canine Good Citizen test or the Therapy Dogs International test. A new offering in our level 3 classes is our APDT Canine Life and Social Skills (C.L.A.S.S.) Workshop. This new program by the Association of Pet Dog Trainers focuses on teaching good manners and offers three test levels to demonstrate what you and your dog can accomplish. For complete details on both classes give us a call or visit our website at: http://www.greenacreskennel.com/training/level-3-dog-training-classes
December Staff Anniversaries
Green Acres is very fortunate to have many staff members who have been with us for several years. We thank them for their service!
Rachel B. – Pet Care Technician – 5 years
Links We Like
Why the dominance theory is obsolete – Whole Dog Journal DEC2011 - http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_12/features/Alpha_20415-1.html
Tune in to The Woof Meow Show
The Woof Meow Show airs twice a week –
7:30AM on Saturdays and 8:30PM on Sundays
on WVOM 103.9FM and WVQM 101.3FM.
- 17DEC11-18DEC11 - Does Your Dog Have You at Your Wits End? - Try Green Acres Help Now!
- 24DEC11-25DEC11 - ENCORE: Green Acres Training Classes 2012 & How to Select a Class and Trainer (Original Air Date 26NOV11-27NOV11)
- 31DEC11-1JAN12 - APDT National Train Your Dog Month w/Mychelle Blake
- 7JAN12-8JAN12 - Training Tips: Housetraining
- 14JAN12-15JAN12 - Training Tips: Play Biting & Chewing
- 21JAN12-22JAN12 - Training Tips: Attention, Take It, and Leave It
- 28JAN12-29JAN12 - ENCORE: Cold Weather Pet Tips (original Air Date 19NOV11-20NOV11)
- 4FEB12-5FEB12 - The Importance of Spaying and Neutering Your Pet w/Dr.Mark Hanks
- 11FEB12-12FEB12 - Spay Day at the Bangor Humane Society w/Suzan Bell
- 18FEB12-19FEB12 - Pet Dental Health w/Dr. Mark Hanks
Keep up with the Woof Meow Show at our FaceBook page - https://www.facebook.com/WoofMeowShow