For Immediate Release
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Contact: Don Hanson
Green Acres Kennel Shop
[Bangor]¾ Dog bites are a serious public health problem. Half of all children will be bitten by a dog by the time they are twelve. The majority of these bites will be by the family dog or another dog known to the child. That is a statistic that Green Acres Kennel Shop would like to help change, and this is what we are doing about it.
- We have become a member of the non-profit organization Doggone Safe (www.doggonesafe.com) and have staff members licensed to present their innovative “Be A Tree Program.” The “Be a Tree” program is an innovative and interactive dog bite prevention education program aimed at primary grade children. It teaches children how to read dog body language and how to act safely around dogs. Instead of telling children “don’t do this and don’t do that”, the Be a Tree program empowers them with the knowledge they need to make safe decisions based on the body language and the actions of the dog and the situation at hand. The central message of the program is “Be a Tree” (stand still and quiet and don’t look at the dog) if a strange dog approaches or any dog is causing concern or becoming too frisky.
- We are holding two FREE “Be A Tree” sessions at Green Acres on Saturday, May 18th at 2PM and Sunday, May 19th at 1PM. Those wishing to attend should preregister by calling 945-6841, as space is limited..
- We are available to present the “Be A Tree” program at local schools and for local youth groups at no charge.
- We will be airing a daily dog bite prevention tip on WBZN-FM 107.3, WDEA-AM 1370, WEZQ-FM 92.9, WQCB-FM 106.5, WWMJ-FM 95.7, WBFM-FM 97.1, WLKE-FM 99.1, WMCM-FM 103.3, WABK-FM 104.3, WBAK-FM 104.7, and WBKA-FM 107.7 from April 24th through May 31st.
- We will be posting a daily dog bite prevention tip on our FaceBook pages https://www.facebook.com/GreenAcresKennelShop and https://www.facebook.com/WoofMeowShow)
- We have added a new dog bite prevention section to our website at: (http://www.greenacreskennel.com/dog-bite-prevention)
In business since 1965, Green Acres Kennel Shop at 1653 Union Street is a Pet Care Services Association (PCSA) accredited facility offering boarding, daycare and grooming for dogs and cats, as well as pet behavior consultations and training classes. Voted Best Kennel every year since 2002, Best Pet Store every year since 2007, and Best Dog Trainer every year since 2011, the Green Acres retail store offers a wide variety of wholesome pet foods, treats and quality supplies. For more information, please call 945-6841 or visit www.greenacreskennel.com.